Sunday, April 27, 2008

Jeremiah Goes to a Wedding

A couple of weeks ago our son, Jeremiah, was in a wedding of an old friend. The wedding was in Delaware. The guys drove up one weekend for the rehearsal and then the next weekend for the wedding. Oh, that guy at the top isn't the lead guitar player for ZZ Top. That's our baby Jeremiah.
That's Jeremiah on the left, then the groom Billy Joyner, Danny Terry, and on the right Tommy Castle. Now as sharp as the guys look, that's not the real story. These guys have known each other and remained tight friends since elementary school. I don't know about you, but I can't even locate classmates from grade school and am hard pressed to find high school classmates. Billy moved to Delaware over 10 years ago and still kept close to his friends. Tommy commented, "I wouldn't put on a tuxedo for anybody else."
Jeremiah, Tommy, and Danny all work together at the same company in Lynchburg. The 3 of them get together with some others every Wednesday evening and Saturday to play music. I asked them one time if they ever get tired of each other and they looked at me as if I had lost my mind. The bond these guys have really reminds me a lot of what the early church must have been like. They are like a tribe or family.

I really believe that a big part of being a pastor is in relationships. If you don't build a connection with your folks, then much of what you want to do is wasted. I look at Jeremiah and his extended family and try to learn from them. God brings us lessons from places and people we would not always be looking for, its good to keep our eyes and ears open for His leading.

No comments: