Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Old Trees


I've always loved old trees. I remember climbing the big oak tree in front of our house in New Hampshire. I'd climb to the highest point I could and sway back and forth on the limb, kind of nature's amusement park. Old trees just seem to have character. I really got a new appreciation for them after I read "The Lord of the Rings". I loved the part about the Ents, Tree Herders, Shepherds of the Forest. I remember when Treebeard said, upon seeing the destruction of his forest, "Some of these I knew since they were nuts or acorns. Some of them had voices of their own."

Anyway, last Sunday as we were driving home from the churches Joanne saw this tree. She made me stop, turn around, go back, park, and take a picture. It may not be what you would call beautiful, but it was to us. It had character, you could see the age and wear in its limbs.

So don't be surprised if you see an occasional tree on the page. Wouldn't it be something if they could talk and could tell all they have seen change before them. I would love to hear a church's history from a tree's perspective.

No comments: