Friday, October 31, 2008

Starry Night and Marshmallows

After Patrick's wedding in South Carolina we headed home to Virginia, since I had my Sunday services to attend. We decided that rather than go all the way home we would cut the trip short an hour and spend the night at the parsonage. As we were almost there we saw lights at the Pumpkin Patch. I remember A.J. telling me how they would shoot at pumpkins near the end of the season and this was the last Saturday before Halloween. I decided a detour was in order. As we pulled up A.J. and Lisa, along with A.J.'s sister and her husband were sitting around a fire. All the young folks were running through the mazes in the dark. After making sure we weren't intruding we pulled up a couple chairs and joined the warmth.

As we talked, Joanne thinking out loud said it would be nice if we had some marshmallows to roast. Lisa popped up and came back with a bag of marshmallows. Without even getting out of our seats, we found sticks on the ground. stuck the marshmallows on and started roasting. I say "we", but the truth is I don't roast marshmallows. I don't mind them a little toasted, but I always char them (just like my hot dogs) and they're ruined.

The sky was clear and the stars filled it all the way down to the horizon. It's amazing how many stars you see at night out in the country. We sat around until almost midnight, when Joanne reminded me that my first service is at 9:00 in the morning. I probably would have sat there until the sun came up, it was that pleasant and peaceful. It was really good, friends and fellowship.

No comments: