Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day Sunday Sermon

This was our first Sunday back at church after having two Sundays snowed out. I thought it was special that we got back together on Valentine's Day.

The scripture we used today was John 21:15-17, where Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?". The title of the sermon was "Who Do You Love?". When asked "Do you love me?" there is a question contained in it that says "If you don't love me, who do you love?" On a day when we celebrate love and that special relationship, I thought we should consider both questions.

I wanted an intro that would get the attention. I found a song and read the lyrics to start the sermon. It got some laughs, some smiles, and a few confused looks. Joanne just shook her head and looked at the floor.



I walked forty-seven miles of barbed wire,


I got a cobra snake for a necktie


A brand new house on the road side,


And it's a-made out of rattlesnake hide


Got a band new chimney put on top,


And it's a-made out of human skull


Come on take a little walk with me baby,


And tell me who do you love?


Who do you love?


Who do you love?

Happy Valentine's Day. I love Jesus. Who do you love?

No comments: