Thursday, December 10, 2009

Buddy and his split personality

Buddy is Courtney and Dave's family dog and he came along when they visited us for Thanksgiving. You really couldn't ask for a better dog for a family with kids. Thomas will lay on the floor using Buddy for a pillow or Lila will follow Buddy around with a tight hold on his nubby tail and the dog does nothing. It's like its all part of being in the family.
 
Now I don't know about you, but I was always taught and passed it on to my children, that you never bother a dog when it is eating or chewing on a bone. Buddy is the exception to the rule. Our 13 year old dog, Millie, growls if you come near her bowl when she's eating or even if you walk close when she's chewing a rawhide bone. Buddy could care less, he just likes having family around. 
 
Buddy's calm demeanor ends when the family leaves. Buddy the calm and mellow morphs into Buddy the wacko. We went out one evening and left Buddy and Millie at the house. When we returns we found that Buddy had popped a pane out of the window and shredded the curtains while jumping up to the window to see when the family returned. We thought it was just a aberration and put some cover on the window until the weekend. So when we went out another evening we thought all would be fine. Well, when we got in we found another pane out. So we covered that one until the weekend.

The next day went fine so we put it out of our mind. On Saturday, we all went to my parents for dinner, thinking that we had taken all the proper precautions to protect the window. When we got home and pulled up in front of the house, there was Buddy hanging out the second floor living room window. He had pushed the repairs out of the windows and squeezed through the space left by the now absent glass. He ripped through the screen window to finally have almost half his body hanging there in midair. My first thought was to jump from the car to run to the house and save the poor dog. By the time I got to the front door, unlocked and opened it; Buddy was at the door and bolted outside to greet his family. When I got inside, there was Millie laying on her bed looking up at me, as if to say, "I'm just too old for this kind of foolishness."

Needless to say, Buddy didn't stay home alone anymore. Dave and I replaced the panes of glass in the window and all is well.
 
I could make a boat load of spiritual analogies. You know, like God loving us that much or us loving God that much, but I'll let you work that one out for yourself. Buddy is still a great dog for my grandchildren.

No comments: