Sunday, May 25, 2008

Licensing School, Sunday 25 May 2008

I am at Virginia Wesleyan College in Norfolk, VA attending the UMC Licensing School. Classes started this past Thursday and will finish this coming Friday. That's 9 days starting with breakfast at 7:15, chapel at 8:00, first class at 9:00, and the closing chapel at 8:30 in the evening. It's a seriously long day. I'm already feeling weary and I'm not even half way through. Each morning I pray, "Lord, lift me up on wings of eagles, let me run and not grow faint." I'm afraid my brain is going to melt from information overload.

While its long and an endurance for someone who likes afternoon naps and going to bed early, it has been good. There is a lot of worship, prayer, and good fellowship. The classes have been worthwhile and I have taken over 20 pages of notes already. There are about 50 students in the class, with ages ranging from just out of seminary to even older than me, but not by much. It has been a long time since I have sat with so many men and women who are sincerely and passionately desiring to serve God and the church. It is humbling to be among them.

Today is Sunday and I really missed my churches. I looked at my watch all morning imagining which church was having their sermon and what stage they were at that time. I prayed for each congregation during the time they were having service. My time here has refreshed me (while wearing me to a frazzle) and I hope will make me a better pastor.

I'll put some pictures on once I get home and can download them. Well, it's going on 10:00 and I have to get up at 5:30 so I can still get hot water out of the shower.

No comments: