Monday, May 3, 2010

Fields of Crimson

My daughter had a post on her blog http://splashinggrace.blogspot.com/ with a quote from A.A. Milne, "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." I thought about that yesterday as I went to my churches and saw how the fields were given a red tint by the Crimsom Clover.
I had to go walking in the fields after church to get some pictures of the clover. I was afraid it might be gone soon and I didn't want to miss it. Turns out it may be around to enjoy for a while.
Rather than being a weed, Crimson Clover is a cultivated forage. It is used as a ground cover for soil conservation, a source of pollen and nectar for bees, as a food source for livestock, and for land beautification. I'm not too knowledgable about the first 3 uses, but I can vouch for the last one.
I couldn't believe I hadn't seen this in the last three years. The reason I hadn't seen it was that tobacco had been planted in these fields before.
I could have sat there for hours watching the clover blow in the wind. I looked like waves of living flames. I truly felt sorry for pastors with city churches, who don't get to see these wonders week after week.

No comments: