Monday, March 22, 2010

Finished the First Year of Course of Study

Well, I made it through my first year of classes for the United Methodist Church at Duke University. The last morning I took some time to go into the Duke Chapel and get a few photos. It really is an impressive place. The vaulted ceilings, the arches, the stained glass windows, the quiet echoes; all set an atmosphere of the Holy.  It is such a contrast to our modern, utilitarian churches, that can be easy mistaken for a theatre or gymnasium. When you walk through these doors, you have no doubt that you're in church. Though there is no sign, no one speaks aloud, only whispers.
 
Our last class of the year was Pastoral Care. We had the good fortune or better yet divine blessing to have the outgoing director of Course of Study, Rev. Nathan Kirkpatrick, to teach our class. When I attended my first class back in September, I was told the he had a love for local pastors and that he had our back. Several people came up and told me how jealous they were that we had him teaching our class. This was my first real time of being able to sit, talk. listen, and learn from  him. When he was teaching, you could tell what things he was  passionate about, you could see it in his eyes. It was really good class.

These are some of the members of our class. The eight of us were is Licensing School 2008 together.   http://mountairyjournal.blogspot.com/2008/06/licensing-school-pics.html   We're all Local Pastors serving around the state of Virginia. We will all get together at Annual Conference in a couple of months.
 
When I was driving home from Duke on Saturday afternoon, I heard this song on the radio. I had heard it many times before, but this time was different. I can't really explain it, you'll just have to take my word for it. Anyway, I just wanted to post it on here for you to hear. It just seemed to sum up what I was feeling when I was heading home from my first year at school.

No comments: